DEERHAVEN PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION
QUARTERLY MEETING MINUTES
BLUE LAKE COMMUNITY CENTER
214 W BLUEBONNET ROAD, HORSESHOE BAY, TEXAS 78657
SATURDAY, APRIL 22, 2023
1. Certification of Quorum
Meeting called to order by Joanne Severn at 9:02 a.m.
Directors present: Joanne Severn, Paul Rossbach, Pam Hutchins, Penny Wimberly,
Directors not present: David Wuest, Albert LaCasse, Gabe Pincelli
2. Review/Approval of February 25, 2022, Board Meeting Minutes
Paul motioned for approval and Penny seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
3. Llano MUD #1
Ron Smith received feedback from homeowners complaining about smells coming
from the lift station. Ron will bring it up at the next MUD #1 meeting. Ron asked that
homeowners who notice smells write down the date and time they notice it and
report it to the MUD #1 via these two emails: JESSICA@LCMUD.COM,
TIM@LCMUD.COM, and cc to Ron@RonGSmith.com .
4. Chairman/President’s Report
Joanne – The Board has started planning for the Annual POA Dinner to be held on
June 3. The Board has received an estimate for catering from Julie’s Cocina for
$1,455 for 60 people. We will know the final count by the end of May.
5. Vice President’s Report
The POA contacted a realtor and asked them to remove a For Sale sign from
a yard. For Sale signs are not allowed.
A contractor working on Fawn Ridge a few months ago was informed on a
Sunday that work on Sundays is not allowed.
A contractor on Lagoon Loop was told to provide better construction site
A port-a-potty was noted as being in the street on Fawn Ridge. The
contractor was asked to relocate it.
6. Treasurer’s Report
Pam presented the Financial Report.
Four Pickle Ball donations were returned since there is currently no plan identified
within the amount donated to fix the court. David C said he would continue to look
for solutions in a more affordable price range and is meeting with another
contractor next week.
It was suggested that perhaps money could be saved if the POA didn’t need to pay
for the landline phone in the pool restroom. Pam will confirm with the insurance
company if a landline is required at the pool. Since most people now have cell
phones, it may no longer be required.
7. Road Commissioner’s Report
Llano County filled in some holes in the neighborhood. They still need to address low
hanging limbs. A streetlight was reported to be out but location not provided.
David Cotner took care of tree in Mountain Dr ROW.
8. Architectural Committee Report
David Cotner provided an update.
503 Lakeview – The house has been removed. David C will review the permit to
confirm if a complete demo was included vs a remodel, and if a pool was included.
502 Dawn Circle – Archer’s replat for Lot 241 A was approved.
506 Lakeview – Dredge and build new seawall, remodel boat house and boat dock.
2702 Sunny Point – Install flagpole, propane tanks with cedar screen.
508 Lagoon Loop – Due to the Blonkvist exceeding the previous permit durations,
the POA received $2,000 from the homeowner to maintain in escrow if the work is
not completed by May 1. The escrow will be kept and additional penalty fees
assessed if house is not complete by May 1 deadline.
It was mentioned that there is a history of variances book that documents which
architectural variances have been approved in the past. Pam will provide this book
to David C for Committee reference.
A big thanks to Diane Stone who volunteered to be on the Architectural Committee.
9. Discuss Restrictions & Covenants violations
The restrictions and covenants have been updated and are currently under review
with board members and the architectural committee. Restrictions on outbuildings
are not clear. It was mentioned that perhaps dark skies lighting requirements could
be included similar to what Horseshoe Bay uses.
Once the board members and architectural committee members have provided
feedback on the updated draft restrictions and covenants, they will be sent out to
Deerhaven property owners for a 30-day review.
10. Boat/Trailer Lockup Report
Paul agreed to continue to oversee the boat/trailer lockup duties and provide the
boat/trailer lockup report even though he will no longer be on the Board.
The additional boat/trailer lockup lot has been cleared at a cost of $2,300. Forty-four
spaces have been rented and approximately six spaces remain available.
It was noted that many of the boats and trailers in the lockup area have expired
registrations. The form to rent a boat/trailer lockup space states that registrations
are to be kept up to date. The Board will need to decide if the requirement for
current registration should be enforced or to remove the requirement from the
It was discussed that the rules about types of trailers are not clear. There are
currently boat trailers and storage trailers in the lockup area. The Board will review
the rules and clarify the types of trailers allowed. Based on the available space, a size
limit for trailers is recommended.
Other considerations by the Board include putting up privacy fencing or some other
type of visual screen, raising rates and/or limiting spaces to two per property owner
in the future if the waitlist grows beyond capacity (spaces are currently available),
and using the additional available space that was recently cleared (which would
require additional earthwork to regrade and reconfigure the area due to elevation
differences and existing trees).
11. Park Chairman Report
As of July 1, Gabe will no longer be on the Board and will be resigning as the Pool
and Park Commissioner. He has held this position for many years and no longer has
the flexibility in his work schedule to continue these duties. A BIG THANKS to Gabe
for all the years of taking care of the pool and park!
It was recommended during the meeting that perhaps the POA could pay for
someone to clean the bathroom at the pool weekly during the summer and monthly
during the winter to take this burden off of volunteers.
Gabe has distributed 80 keys for the pool/boat ramp. He will continue to distribute
keys for those that request them.
It was mentioned that the pool capacity should be checked to confirm if there is a
limit. Pam will check with the insurance company.
Spring is here, so the pool is starting to require more water due to warmer weather
and the need to flush the sand filter due to pollen that gets through the filter basket.
If anyone happens to notice that the water is low in the pool, please feel free to add
some water while you’re at the pool, but PLEASE do not leave it on when you
leave. Also, a big thanks to Rick Ankerholz for repairing the flowerpot that the water
hose is stored in.
Some loose boards were reported at the boat dock that will need to be repaired.
12. Long Range Planning Committee Report
The committee continues to research options.
Incorporate into MUD #1 – After considering the capacity and financial obligations to
incorporate Deerhaven into the MUD, the Board of Directors decided not to move
forward with this option. Ron stated that the MUD staff would provide assistance if
Deerhaven opts to transfer our WCID into a MUD.
Transfer Deerhaven WCID into MUD – Last week, Penny began a new position with
TCEQ in the Water Supply Division who regulates MUDs. They have a program called
FMT (Financial, Managerial, Technical) that provides consultants free of charge to
assist with consolidations, such as this. Because of Penny’s position, someone else
will need to take on the research for this potential option.
Create a MUD with another subdivision – Land comprising a MUD does not have to
be contiguous. Oak Ridge Estates is the subdivision behind 7-Eleven that is not
incorporated and has many of the same issues – poor roads, expensive waste
collection, county emergency services. Larry Anderson’s wife is on the board and is
interested in learning more about this possible option. A private company owns and
operates their water system, but also buys the water from City of Horseshoe Bay.
Incorporate in City of Horseshoe Bay – The committee will try to set up a meeting
with Sally McFeron of Development Services to see if this is even an option on their
13. WCID Report
The next WCID meeting is May 15.
14. Election Committee
Only two candidates applied (Rick Aberle and Tim Allen) for the four vacancies left
by Albert, David, Gabe, and Paul. Rick and Tim introduced themselves at the
If no other candidates write in during the voting process, then the Board will be
reduced to a total of five members, which is allowed per bylaws. The Election
Committee will be sending out a Survey Monkey in the next 10 days for property
owners to vote and write in other candidates if desired. Hard copies will be mailed
to anyone who does not have an email address on file with PAMCO or requests a
15. Old Business
16. Ratification of Business transacted electronically per Article VI, Section 7 since last
Motion 1: Paul – Approve the use of $2300 of the boat storage funds for Mathis Land
to remove trees on two storage lots.
Second – Albert
Yes Votes: Pam, Gabe, Penny, David W.
Motion 2: Gabe – Approve Archer Replat: 23077
David W – seconded
Yes votes: Joanne, Albert, Pam, Penny
Paul moved to ratify electronically transacted business #1. Pam seconded. Motion
Paul moved to ratify electronically transacted business #2. Joanne seconded. Motion
17. New Business
There is a golf cart behind a fence on Lakeview Drive that is a potential violation.
Anyone can notify the Board of a violation.
The next Board meeting will be the Annual Meeting and Fiesta Dinner on June 3.
18. Property Owners Forum
David Cotner submitted his plans to the Board for his outbuilding.
Sandi Becraft inquired about when the POA planned to perform road resurfacing.
The Board noted that $10,000 is set aside every year toward the budget for resealing
Deerhaven roads. Road resealing is done approximately every five years. The Board
will look into when the next resealing should be expected.
Cat Clanton expressed concerns about hot, dry weather coming and the potential for
fires if lots aren’t cleared. Cat volunteered to check neighborhood lots to see which
ones need to be cleared. The Board will also look into what the requirements are to
be a Firewise community.
19. Adjourn – Paul motioned to adjourn and Penny seconded. Meeting adjourned at 10:31
DEERHAVEN PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION