DEERHAVEN PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
SATURDAY MARCH 23, 2019 9:00 A.M. BLUE LAKE GOLF CLUB CLUBHOUSE
214 W BLUEBONNET ROAD, HORSESHOE BAY, TEXAS 78657
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Jerry Pruett at 9:05 a.m.
- Certification of Quorum
Directors present: Jerry Pruett, Sandi Becraft, Cat Clanton, Jim Maughan, Pam Hutchins, and Brian Stone.
Linda Cowden was not present.
- Appointment of Secretary
Brian Stone was appointed as Secretary for the meeting.
- Approval of Minutes
Jim moved approval of the minutes of the November 24, 2018 Board Meeting. Pam seconded motion, and the motion unanimously passed.
- Review and Approval of January 15, 2019 Special Board Meeting Minutes
Pam moved approval of the minutes of the January 15, 2019 Special Board Meeting. Cat seconded motion, and the motion unanimously passed.
- Property Owner’s Forum
There was no resident who had requested to speak during the property owners’ forum.
- Chairman’s Report
Jerry expressed his concern for the need of a Permanent Secretary to comply with Article XV of the Deerhaven Bylaws. Lois Girten was in attendance, and volunteered to send an email to Deerhaven Property owners asking for a volunteer to serve as permanent Secretary.
- Presidents report
Cat provided the following update on lot clearing:
- 25 lots had been cleared before the recent lot clearing initiative
- 27 lots have been cleared as a result of the initiative
- 11 lots remain to be cleared
- Cat showed the board a color-coded map of Deerhaven showing the original 103 lots that were to be cleared and the status of each.
- Cat told the board that she has been contacted by property owners complaining about the air cannons used scare birds nesting. Complaints are that the cannon shots are too loud and too frequent. The board reviewed DH Covenants and Restricts, and see no enforceable regulations against the cannons. It was suggested that the President of the Board send a courtesy letter to the property owners using the cannons and ask for accommodation.
- Vice President’s Report
No Vice President report.
- Treasurer’s Report / Review Financial statement
- Pam reviewed the current financial statement.
- Pam updated the board on Accounts Receivable status
- Board discussed filing liens against delinquent properties.
- Brian moved approval of the financial statements. Sandi seconded motion, and the motion unanimously passed.
- Nominating Committee Report
The nominating committee consists of Sandi Becraft, Pam Hutchins, and Diane Dietert (non-board representative). Diane has typed ballots and instructions. The election ballot will be a secret ballot, which is allowed by Texas Legislature provided (a) only qualified property owners vote, and (b) all qualified votes are counted.
Ballot will be sent with two envelopes. The return envelope will be stamped and addressed to the Deerhaven mail box. The interior sealed envelope will have the ballot.
Ballots will be mailed mid- to late April.
A memo from the nominating committee to the Deerhaven Board is attached to these minutes.
Jim moved approval of the Nominating Committee process and package to be mail. Cat seconded motion, and the motion unanimously passed.
- Architectural Committee
Jim provided a written update of status of ACC and permitting process. That document is attached to and incorporated into the Minutes of the Board meeting.
Jim, Jerry and Gabe met with Attorney Chris Cagle regarding the Hunter dredging project. Jim provided a summary of that meeting. Cagle confirmed that Deerhaven’s Covenants and Restrictions are enforceable, and believes that the provisions of the Building Permit Application are also enforceable.
Jim suggested adding a permit fee for dredging projects. Property owners are required to get a permit for dredging, but there is currently no fee. Jim made a motion to implement a $500 permit fee for dredging, and Sandi seconded the motioned. There was board discussion, and opinions that $500 was too much. Sandi withdrew her second, and the Board tabled the vote.
- Road Update
Jim and Jerry provided an update from the Attorney on the status of Deerhaven roads, public vs. private. Roads are owned by Deerhaven but roads and easements are dedicated to the county for public use. Roads are best described as “quasi-public”.
It was reported that the roads are damaged in places. Jim reported that Commissioner Peter Jones will have the county do spot repairs on roads. Jim will follow up with the County providing photos of the damaged/buckled road condition.
- Boat Lock up
One boat and trailer has been permanently removed as the property owner no longer lives in Deerhaven. Many boats have been temporarily removed for the winter.
- Park Chairman report
Gabe reported that the pool pump has a leak and will need to be repaired at a cost of $200-300. A new timer has been purchased for $85 and will be installed.
Boat ramp report: the lower portion of the boat ramp was repaired at a cost of $3,100, but the contractor was unable to extend the ramp. Resident Giles Summerlin volunteered time and resources to lay concrete at the end of the ramp to prevent trailers falling off and causing trailer damage. The Board approved a $500 donation toward the project.
The Board thanks Giles for his time and monetary donation to this project.
Several residents helped clean the park and remove debris from the lake last weekend.
- Long Term Planning
Brian reported that Martha Duffin had sent the PowerPoint presentation from the LTPC to all property owners in Deerhaven. Brian reported that one resident expressed and interest in repairing /resurfacing the tennis court into a sports court. That resident suggested a community fund raiser. The board also briefly discussed a business sponsorship and signage to help pay for the tennis court repairs. The Long Term planning committee will work through the annual budgeting process.
There was no WCID report.
- Old Business
- Jim advised that road signs are on back order. Price to install signs and move “totem” signs will be about $700.
- Low water crossing by the park
- There is a lot of water, presumably run-off from Horseshoe Bay releasing water from ponds.
- Someone as installed a wooden bridge along the side of the crossing. The board discussed that the bridge could present a safety hazard.
- The board discussed a project to install a culvert to eliminate low water crossing, similar to the project at the creek by the boat lock up.
- Park restroom in the Barn has been repaired and is open.
- Ratification by Board vote of business transacted electronically per Article VI, Section 7 since last meeting:
The board was asked to ratify the following electronic board votes. Pam made the motion to ratify the electronic votes. Jim seconded the motion, and the board unanimously voted to approve.
- 1/21/2019 Vote to meet with attorney regarding letter from attorney of property owner:-
Motion by Jim Maughan: Motion that the POA Board obtain the services of an attorney to review the Deerhaven Covenants & Restrictions, By-laws, and architectural documents, to render an opinion as to if the restrictions listed in the Architectural Documents are compliant with current property law and enforceable, and if so, to assist the POA in drafting a stop work notice to the non-compliant property owner(s).
Second: Pam Hutchins
In favor: Jerry Pruett, Cat Clanton, Sandi Becraft, Jim Maughan, Brian Stone, Pam Hutchins
- 1/17/2019 Three bids were obtained to repair boat ramp while Lake LBJ is lowered:-
Motion by Jim Maughan: proceed with the boat ramp work with the contractor Ruben Ortiz with the $3,000 bid estimate.
Second: Pam Hutchins
In Favor: Jim Maughan, Pam Hutchins, Linda Cowden, Jerry Pruett
- 1/28/2019 Motion by Jim Maughan: that the POA Board contact our attorney and request that he contact the property owner’s attorney and negotiate a settlement where we would revise our temporary restriction to remove the contractor’s road damage liability, and limit the property owners road damage liability to the immediate area near the owners property.”
Second: Pam Hutchins
In favor: Jim Maughan, Pam Hutchins, Cat Clanton, Brian Stone, Jerry Pruett
- 2/7/2019 Motion by Jim Maughan: Motion that the attached addendum to the Deerhaven POA Building Permit Application regarding General Note 22 be approved and that it supersede the previously approved addendum regarding the same General Note 22.
Second: Brian Stone
In favor: Jim Maughan, Brian Stone, Linda Cowden, Pam Hutchins Jerry Pruett
- 2/17/2019 Motion by Jim Maughan that the POA provide $500 toward the cost of stacking sack concrete at the end of the boat ramp.
Second: Brian Stone
In favor: Jim Maughan, Brian Stone, Pam Hutchins, Cat Clanton, Linda Cowden, Jerry Pruett
- New Business:
All new business items on the agenda were discussed earlier in the meeting and that discussion is reflected in these minutes.
Sandi made the motion that the Board make a donation to Blue Lake Country Club to cover cleaning and decorations for the meeting room that Deerhaven uses for parties and meetings. Cat seconded the motion, and it was approved unanimously.
- The meeting was adjourned by the Chairman .
- Next Meeting – Saturday April 27, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.